The Journal of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society, first published in 1884, was the official organ of the Elisha Mitchell Scientific Society.
After the founding of the North Carolina Academy of Science in 1902, both the society and the academy considered the journal their official publication.
When the Mitchell Society dissolved in 1983, the academy assumed control of the journal, renaming it the Journal of the North Carolina Academy of Science
in 2002. Covering all fields of science and issued quarterly, the refereed journal currently publishes papers from members and non-members as well as
the abstracts and proceedings of the academy's annual meetings.